Friday, November 7, 2008

History's Soundtrack

Barack Obama was actually elected. It actually happened.

Motherfucker. Talk about an opportunity for dancing in the streets. Or singing, as the case may be.

Now the biggest question on my mind is:

Who will play the Inaugural?

My hope is Chicago country blues-rockers Wilco.

Come on, I know the Black-Eyed Peas have been stumping for Obama for a while, but Wilco actually asked first.

Come on, I know Jay Z is Obama's favorite, and the Boss himself might be releasing an album to cooincide with the inauguration, but Wilco's got first dibs, right?

I've never in my life been so happy to be American.

UPDATE: THIS has become one of my favorite videos ever. The perfect drumroll and the spontaneous (random?) electric guitar notes that punctuated the announcement, followed by Stipe singing with his whole heart, even though he can't really believe it? It WAS an unbelievable moment. I had snuck into a democratic rally at a hotel in downtown SF, and believe me, we all felt like singing.

Also, everyone in the entire UNIVERSE has been reporting that Beyonce volunteered to play Obama's inaugural. She didn't. What she actually said was that she was ready and willing to volunteer: whether that be singing or some other capacity. Anything that she can do. She's a multi-millionare superstar who could be doing anything in the world she wants to right now, and she's heard the call to civic duty? It boggles the mind.

They say JFK had the uncanny ability to draft people into civil service from all walks of life. Caroline and Edward Kennedy have said Obama reminds them of their lost relative. Are they right?....

Exciting time to be alive, that's for sure.

No comments: