Friday, March 27, 2009

The Justice Tour: Slim's 3/26/2009

I must have bad audience-karma. Two nights ago I was trapped in the midst of some loud killjoy annoying girls. Tonight I spent the whole time getting rammed into by some of the loudest, most aggressive, most annoying hecklers I've ever encountered. One of them humped me at one point. I put up with it because I wanted that spot near the stage. I was the only female they did that to who did so.

Jackasses.

I told myself I wasn't going to go for this one. I mean, the last Justice show is just damn impossible to top. It doesn't get better then the (almost) reunion of a living myth, a pick, and a hug from Wayne Kramer.

I just had to push my luck and attend the show at Slim's tonight in SF. Fortunately it was a good show. The hecklers were a pain and days that end without hugs from Wayne Kramer are definitely less desirable then the ones that do, but there was still Tom, there was Steve Earle, there was Boots and the whole Freedom Fighter Orchestra. Joe Satriani played the guitar with his teeth. Sammy Hagar sang some tunes with an outsized attitude. Wayne Kramer had this adorable huge goofy smile on his face the whole time. And it must have been Carl Restivo's birthday or something, because everyone, and I do mean everyone, was walking over to give him some love: Satriani even let him rock a solo...kind of, I mean, Joe Satriani being Joe Satriani, he was still playing like twelve notes to his one, but The Wizard's muscular black Gibson was definitely being shoved into the spotlight more often then usual. He even demonstrated Tom's own kill-switch trick.

Steve Earle was back with his acoustic guitar and harmonica, knocking out some folk music that was quiet enough that the Hecklers felt it was the perfect time to start abusing the other members of the audience. Through the night, various people would try to shut them down. No one would succeed. Not even the poor Slipknot guy who had the misfortune to be the subject of their misplaced adoration could get them to stop their drunken hollering for more then around two seconds.

The Hecklers loved Slipknot, and wouldn't let a single moment go by without saying so, which was sad becayse the Slipknot guy (Cory something) was a genuine guy. He was introduced as the first person ever to agree to one of Tom's Justice shows, he had an acoustic, a thick muscled neck, pale blonde hair, a strong, surprisingly sweet and emotive voice, as well as a sense of humor (played some country-western chords for fun). The Hecklers just wouldn't leave him alone: hollaring out "ACOUSTIC SLIPKNOT!!" and requests for what I guess are Slipknot songs. I felt sorry for him. I also felt sorry for me, since the Hecklers kept ramming into me, trying to debate politics during the acoustic songs, songs, and pressing against me during the rowdy parts. Also, they had my purse and stuff under the stage right in front of them. They didn't steal anything.

Steve Earle was talking about handing out barittos to homeless people as part of their volunteer day, and how he just happened across a guy who'd played in a band that he had recorded a song with back in 1986 (year I was born.) This guy still plays in that band. he came out with an emaciated face, a small steel recorder, and clothes worthy of the homeless to play the the song in question.

Earle and Morello covered "Ghost of Tom Joad" again. It's still great.

When it was finally time for "This Land Is Your Land" Tom and co. were joined onstage by...lots of people I didn't recognize who were playing what looked like Tom's gear: one of them had the Gibson he played two nights ago in Seattle (drop D tuning it turned out, which caused problems and required re-tuning mid-song), a thin, pretty singer* who dove out into the audience to deliver his verse, a guy on Morello's own "Arm the Homeless" (hope he knows that honor: playing THAT guitar live).... and another set of house lights that failed to come on on cue, but oh well.

*This guy turned out to be the frontman of OK GO. I didn't recognize him without the colors.

Wasn't as great as Seattle, but I have a hunch very little actually will be.

Wayne Kramer didn't come out and hug me. The Hecklers actually got the pick he lobbed in our direction, which I resent.

Someone out there, please get Tom a new pair of suspenders. He broke his in Seattle and I miss them.

Now the question is whether or not I'll actually get over my shyness and volunteer for something. I donno. I'll sleep on that one.

No comments: